Saturday, November 18, 2006

The Dark of December

It is such a delight to work on Winter Harp, that once the endless rains of winter start, I’m not bothered by them. In fact, I’m thankful. The rain keeps me indoors. People complain that the rain and the dark makes them depressed. But I’m so focused on the music and the beauty of the carols and the stories, that the weather is immaterial.
I sit by the fire, play the First Noel on my harp and listen to the continuous drumming of the rain on the roof. It’s cozy. It’s right. It’s winter. It is everything Winter Harp is about.
The cold, dark and damp forces us inside both physically and metaphorically. In less than two months the days will start getting longer and spring will be on its way. Time passes. Darkness turns, once again, to light.
I heard a bird sing in the dark of December:
‘We are nearer to spring than we were in November.’
I heard a bird sing in the dark of December.

- Lori

1 comment:

grannyfiddler said...

rain here in northern alberta is not a good thing in November, but we've been getting some. regardless, the sentiment is shared... replacing rain with snow. it's a good time to be inside, making music savoring friends, family and stories.